While working up to coming out to my parents as nonbinary last week, I restlessly snapped some photos of my carpet (after a couple of my funny, angsty little face and messy top knot) and gave myself some advice.
I first uploaded that snapstory (a slideshow of those photos with the text I added)to share here, but I just couldn’t keep it. The video was gigantic and I can’t stand the idea of my face taking up someone’s entire screen for a couple photos when my carpet is the real MVP anyway. So I snagged the individual photos and wrangled them together.
Here is the advice I gave myself:
- Collect yourself. Be in a good emotional place
- Ask the other party when is a good time for them
- Begin with much regard for the wellbeing of everyone in the room
- Some casual conversation is good. It’s not the end of the world here.
- 4? 5? (I lose track of time so easily on snapchat) Listen to your better instincts
- Let’s call this 6: No matter how it goes, love yourself for being brave enough
- No matter how things go, find something to smile and celebrate afterwards [like trees or the moon]
- And breathe.
Maybe even laugh at the business carpeting in your bedroom
What advice would you include?